So, we’ve all done it. We’ve practiced “singles” while washing the dishes. We’ve worked on our chest circles while stuck in traffic on I-75. So, we thought it’d be fun to start a list of these belly dance-isms. Have a laugh, and let us know the quirky little things that remind you of belly dancing! We’ll keep adding new -isms, so stay tuned…
You know you’re a belly dancer if…
- You shimmy your way to the glowing box of Waffle Crisp in the grocery aisle!
- You’re using frozen peas for a headache, and find yourself doing isolated shoulder shimmies while the bag is perched on your head.
- You wake up your roommates because you’re still wearing your jinglies after a late-night hafla.
- You see a curtain at Target and think, “Oh, I could totally wear that.”
- Your solution to everything is a safety pin.
- You finally taught yourself to sew!
- When you see a unique coin, you want to attach it to your bra.
- You’re on a blind date at an Indian restaurant, and can’t stop thinking about choreographing something to the background music.
- “Where’s that drum beat coming from?”
- “Yip!” is the new “Yee-Haw!”
- Kira Marie Hays added: You know you’re a belly dancer when you stretch after a yawn and go into taxeem arms!
Comment on this blog to add your own belly dance-isms!
Special note: This originally appeared at DantesGypsyCircus.com, a blog site that I created but is no longer active, so I moved it over here so it won’t be lonely. 😉 Special thanks to Laura Hughes for writing this fun list with me in 2011, on a sunny day in her apartment. ~Cherie